Blog of Gia Bennett

Blog of Gia Bennett

Monday, February 18, 2008

Hanky Panky???

YBOR CITY — A southwest Florida church issued a challenge for its married members this past Sunday: Hanky panky every day. Relevant Church head pastor Paul Wirth says the 50 percent divorce rate was the catalyst for The 30-Day Sex Challenge. “And that’s no different for people who attend church,” Wirth said. “Sometimes life gets in the way. Our jobs get in the way.” Oh, and the flip side of the challenge? No rolling in the sheets for the unwed. Church member Tim Jones and his fiancee agreed to take on the challenge, though he acknowledges it’ll be a tough month. But he added: “I think it’s worth trying to find out other things about each other.”


I actually giggled when I read this. First I thought.... good challenge! The divorce rate is too high and couples don't try hard enough to keep the relationship together. Life gets in the way and they allow jobs, stress and other factors come between them and their spouse. Communication fails, love fails... everything falls apart. Making time for each other and spending intimate time can make all the difference in the world.

But then I thought.... making a pledge to have sex every day makes it almost scheduled and could get monotonous. Showing love for your spouse should be everyday. I hope this challenge doesn't cause dread of "oh no... I have to do this" for those who take this pastors challenge. I do hope it sparks something in couples who have lost touch. I know that is when I feel closest to the person I love. It opens you up to being vulnerable and you share something s special.

I have had little experience with love and relationships. I only had one serious boyfriend before I met my husband and was with him for 24 years. So much was wasted. So much could have been done to save it. Lack of communication and no trust, misunderstandings and misjudgment made it all come crashing down. I will never allow that to happen again. It took a long time for the hardened walls of my heart to open again, but they have. Openness, communication, trust and showing love and affection on a daily basis is a priority... not only for my new relationship, but also with my kids.

The wonderful thing about being with Rich after being best friends first is it comes so natural. It isn't forced. I didn't have to make a list of rules, no demands, no you have to do this or can't do that. We accept each other for who we are. I found someone who actually cares about me and my kids. We never fight. We tell each other everything. He supports everything I do. I willingly and wanting to do the same for him. Sometimes I think... this is all too easy. There has to be something wrong. But there isn't.

So hats off to this preacher. Have sex as often as you can, love your partner and keep communication open and honest. Working for a good relationship isn't work at all... it's wonderful. (Loving each other multiple times a night isn't bad either ... lol) :-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i wonder if birth control is allowed. or perhaps he meant Hanky Panky thongs!

Post a Comment